Johnnie Gabriel's tips for mealtime
- Include a fruit serving with each meal.
fresh fruit can be time consuming so choose a
canned or frozen item
such as peaches, blueberries or pineapple. Add 1
or 2 fresh cut fruits
such as an apple, banana, or orange and it will
look as though you
spent a lot of time on the dish.
- Add nuts and fruit to a salad. Strawberries,
raspberries and craisins add color and
nutrition. For an extra crunch
and flavor add caramelize nuts. 1.Heat a medium
sized skillet over
medium heat. Add one cup of pecans (or any nut
you choose) and about
1/2 cup of light brown sugar. 2.Heat and stir
until sugar is melted and
begins to brown slightly. Spread on a cookie
sheet to cool.
- Extra fresh basil? Don't store it in the
refrigerator. Basil doesn't like the cold. Put
it in a glass of water
just covering the stems but not the leaves.
Change the water every few
days. Basil will keep and even develop roots and
- Stale chips or crackers? Don't throw them
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. and spread
them out onto a cookie
sheet in a single layer. Bake about 5 minutes.
Cool and store in an
airtight container. No waste.
- Easy peel garlic? Microwave for 15 seconds.
cause the skins to slip right off.
- Want more juice from you lemons? Microwave a
for about 15 seconds. This will soften the pulp
and allow for more
- Want a juicier hamburger? Add 1/2 cup of cold
for every pound of meat when mixing burgers.
Shape and grill burgers to
your liking. And remember: Don't press on the
KEY LIME MOUSSE CAKE
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker
butter, and sugar. Press into bottom and one
inch up side of a 10 inch
spring form pan. Set aside.
6 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
10 (1-ounce) squares white chocolate, chopped
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
Garnish with white chocolate curls and Key lime
- In a large bowl, combine lime juice and
stand for 2 minutes.
- Bring 1/2 cup cream to simmer in a small sauce
Remove from heat, and add white chocolate,
sirring until smooth. Stir
in gelatin mixture, and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and
zest at medium speed with an electric mixer
until combined. slowly beat
cooled white chocolate mixture into cream cheese
- In a large bowl, beat remaining 2 cups of
high speed with an electric mixer until soft
- Fold into white chocolate mixture and pour
crust. cover, and freeze overnight. Remove from
freezer and gently run
a knife around edges of pan to release crust
from sides of pan.
- Garnish with white chocolate curls and Key
wedges, if desired. Cut into wedges with a knife
that has been dipped
into hot water
Note: If fresh Key limes are not available,